How to Clean Aligners & Prevent Stains
Want your clear aligners to actually stay clear?
Then read this blog for tips on:
- How to properly clean Invisalign aligners
- How to use cleaning crystals
- How to prevent and clean stains
How to clean Invisalign aligners
The best way to prevent stains and keep your trays fresh is to clean them regularly and adequately.
Use a soft-bristled toothbrush
Get a soft-bristled toothbrush to use solely for cleaning your trays. Brush them with gentle, clear liquid soap to remove any food particles and bacteria. And rinse with lukewarm water – never use hot water, as it warps the trays.
Or, you may use Invisalign cleaning crystals.
What are Invisalign cleaning crystals?
Cleaning crystals are designed specifically to sanitize your Invisalign trays!
They’re tiny crystals made of non-toxic cleaning agents that remove built-up debris on the aligners.
They come with the Invisalign cleaning system… This text opens a new tab to the Invisalign Accessories website…, but they can also be bought separately… This text opens a new tab to Amazon.com….
How to use Invisalign cleaning crystals
- Start by rinsing your aligners under lukewarm running water to wash away any bacteria or residue.
- Then, fill a cup or closable container (like a Tupperware) with lukewarm water.
- Pour a packet of crystals into the water and stir or shake it until it’s fully dissolved.
- Fully submerge your set of aligners into the cup and let it soak for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Next, remove the aligners and rinse them under lukewarm running water.
- Gently brush off any remaining debris using a soft-bristled toothbrush, and thoroughly rinse off the solution.
How often should I clean my aligners?
You should clean your Invisalign aligners at least once a day, typically whenever you brush your teeth.
This will prevent stains and any damage to your trays.
Additionally, remember to remove your aligners before you eat.
When you’re finished eating, clean your teeth, so no food particles or residue will stick onto your aligners.
Also, never drink anything besides water while you’re wearing aligners. Consuming sugary or dyed drinks while wearing aligners may cause cavities, gum disease, and stains to your aligners and teeth!
But if your aligners do get stained, don’t worry. The tips below will help.
How to clean Invisalign stains
We already mentioned one way to remove stains: Invisalign cleaning crystals. But here’s another that uses two ingredients you probably already have at home: hydrogen peroxide and distilled white vinegar.
If you don’t already have them, you may find them at your local grocery store or pharmacy.
- First, fill a cup with equal parts lukewarm water and hydrogen peroxide.
- Submerge your aligners in the mixture and let them soak for roughly half an hour.
- Then, take your trays out of the cup and rinse them thoroughly with cold water.
- Now, fill the cup with half lukewarm water and half distilled white vinegar.
- Allow your trays to sit in this solution for another 30 minutes.
- Once the aligners are done soaking, take them out and gently brush them with a soft-bristled toothbrush in cold water.
This simple solution will remove discoloration and eliminate any bacteria that was stuck on the trays.
Invisalign cleaning crystals are another very easy method for removing stains from your clear aligners!
You may use them up to twice a day to help keep your aligners in pristine condition.
Have any other Invisalign questions?
Our Sammamish dentist, Dr. Asha Madhavan, is an Invisalign expert!
With several years of experience in family dentistry, Dr. Madhavan will offer you top-notch advice on how to care for your trays and smile.
Don’t hesitate to reach out.
Asha Madhavan DDS is located in Sammamish, WA… This text opens a new tab to the Asha Madhavan DDS Google listing…, and proudly serves surrounding areas, including Redmond, Issaquah, Kirkland, Bellevue, and Bothell, WA.